HISTORY OF OUR GROUP
M/s Indo Gulf Industries Limited was incorporated under The Companies Act 1956 as a public limited company with the name of Indo Gulf Explosive Limited in 1981 with the objective to produce industrial explosives. The company was founded and promoted by Dr. S.K. Garg, a scientist turned entrepreneur who pioneered the manufacture of Slurry Explosives for the mining sector by putting up a mechanised plant at Bundelkhand area in 1986 with technical collaboration of Gulf Oil Corporation, USA. The company further expanded to establish bulk explosives production facilities in central India.
In the financial year 1995-96 the company with a view to diversify its activity set up a sugar plant at Maizapur in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India having Cane Crushing Capacity of 3000 TCD. The delay in erection and commissioning of sugar plant caused the banker to recall the loan. The explosive units of the company were also closed in June 2001 due to non-recovery of debts.
The second promoter Balrampur Chini Mills Limited acquired the company is 2006, however, could not commence production in any unit of explosive division. The sugar mill was restarted and the ownership was transferred to the parent corporation.
Historically India is known to have supplied Saltpetre to the Dutch, French, Portugese and the British. Ganesh Explosives Private Limited is the first exporter of Black Gun Powder to the west, after independence from the British Raj, from the Gunpowder Mill that was established at the foothills of Nilgiris between Ooty and Madurai in Tamil Nadu of southern India in the 1990s. By May 2017 the majority stake of IGI was eventually acquired by Ganesh Explosives Private Limited.
Rajesh Explosives Private Limited established the Dehradun Gunpowder Plant for R&D on Combustible Components for projectiles for global market, at Uttarakhand in north-western Himalayas of India.